Tones is a versatile worsted weight, woolen-spun from fleece-dyed American Columbia wool into light and dark shades of round and bouncy 3-ply yarn that we overdye to create a harmonious palette of coordinated “tone pairs”.
Choose your favorite color’s light, bright Overtone, or the deeper, more subdued Undertone. Craft vibrant combinations using Overtones and Undertones of different hues, or choose a more subtle approach by pairing an Overtone and Undertone from the same colorway. Create colorwork, stripes, crisp cables and bold texture in sweaters, accessories, and blankets with this soft and sturdy yarn.
- 140 yards (128 meters) | 50 grams | Worsted weight
- 3-ply woolen-spun construction
- 24 micron Columbia wool from Wyoming
- Wool scoured at Bollman Industries in Texas
- Stock dyed at G.J. Littlewood & Son in Pennsylvania
- Spun at Crescent Woolen Mills Co. in Wisconsin
- Skein dyed at Caledonian Dye Works in Pennsylvania
- Finished at Clemson Winding in Pennsylvania
100% developed, sourced, processed, spun and dyed in the USA.
Columbia sheep raised in Wyoming provide the wool for Tones. One of the first sheep breeds developed in the United States, this large, friendly mediumwool breed began in 1912 in Laramie, Wyoming, as a cross between longwool Lincoln rams and finewool Rambouillet ewes. They produce thick white fleeces with robust substance, wonderful for warm and durable sweaters, accessories, and blankets.
We begin with natural white wool, then dye a portion black, blending and spinning it into light and dark heathered base yarns. These are overdyed in brilliant hues using traditional skein dyeing methods, creating harmonious Tone Pairs to mix and match in colorwork, stripes, and solids.